Sunday, July 25, 2010

Potty Training Blues

So...at about 2 years of age Trevor showed a deep interest in the potty! I got so excited thinking WOW at 2 he'll be potty trained! Unlike many boys I knew -- he would do it early!! We went out and bought a potty chair and all. He sat down one time and that was it! It disgustingly sat in our bathroom like a house decoration!

Gathering dust and dirt the potty chair was used here and there - for a chair or a quick attempt with no success! He just had no desire to put peepee in the potty. He would go to the bathroom a few times at school - sporatic - and a few times out in the yard! We even tried the infamous Once upon a Potty video... :( He would tell me "I can't want to watch that potty movie Momma!"

I became more and more frustrated...the educator in me was SHOUTING---- STOP PUSHING!!! When he is ready he'll let you know. And when that happens he'll just do it! But the Mom in me was crying --- PLEASE use the potty - save mommy some money so I don't have to buy diapers and people won't snicker when I say my almost 3 year old still isn't potty trained. I really tried to give my child choices in his life so that when he chose to "take control"of something (as many 2-3 year olds do) I was hoping it wouldn't be the potty! Go figure -- guess that's where sometimes education just doesn't always apply in parenting?!?!!?

So still struggling with my alter egos and trying to exlain to my hubby that we can't push this - I finally decided to just see how Trevor would do with going bare. He had no desire to wear any of the cute underwear Momo (his grandma; my mom) had bought him....no under wear then nothing! He had resisted nakedness before so I wasn't sure this method would fly with him...but it has. Once we got home from school I would strip him down and let hm be naked around the house. After a few pee's on the floor, a poop on our patio and some stern " We don't put peepee on the floor - we put it in the what? yes potty!" He would finally come screaming "I need a pamper!!" Which was his code for "I need to potty!" So I sat him down on the little potty and there he went!!!! YEAH!!!! We had a huge party - he got to call whomever he wanted to share in the celebration. Of course it was Daddy, Momo and Cici! Day 2 - same thing! I was getting hopeful - but the next day was a full school day and being naked at school is just not kosher! I know --- surprise surprise!!!

But it has been 2 weeks now and for the most part he is gradually going to the potty for peeing everytime. My mom wasn't too happy that she got to help in potty training. I know she secretly hoped that he would be potty trained by the time he came for his visit...sorry MOM!! But she has done a great job and keeping it going! He still has to let go of pooping in the potty (he still uses his pamper for that!) But we are getting there. Slowly but surely!

The Mom in me wants it to be faster, but the edcuator knows that this is great progress and he shouldn't feel pressured. We'll just have to wait and see. He still rarely wears undies, may be he'll just be a "free-baller!"

No comments:

Post a Comment