Saturday, September 15, 2012

Letters to my Son #2

Prelude --- I think I will most likely always connect my letter to a song! I just love how songs give you the words it is sometimes hard to say or know how to say!  I just love songs with a hidden meaning (or blatant meaning!!!)

 To my little man,

The other day you felt discouraged, defeated and unsuccessful.  You cried and yelled about not being able to do it.  We talked about practice and patience.  As you described your feelings I saw so much of me in you. That desire to be perfect, to please your father.  I saw the look of failure in your eyes and the sorrow of defeat.  I wanted to lift you up and stroke your ego, but I let you go through the emotions you felt.  I let you cry it out, lay there and think.  Eventually you came out of your room, ready to try again.  I knew that you knew I loved you - no matter what you accomplished; and I always will but one thing I desperately hope for you is to continue to take that chance, to seek something better, to continue to be free in your thoughts and imagination!  It makes me think of one of my favorite songs "I hope you dance."

It shows a mother and her girls, but the message resonates with any mother.  We all hope that our children will go out into the world and "dance."

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance


Always keep that curiosity of yours - why are things the way they are.......
Keep God in your heart and your mind......
Continue to stand near the ocean and look at it with amazement and wonder.....
But when you get the chance to do something you may not otherwise get the chance to - DO IT!

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin'
Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth makin'
Don't let some Hellbent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to sellin' out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance


Don't ever give up - not on your faith, hope, life or yourself - you are stronger than you think!
Follow your mind and follow your heart.... mistakes are about learning; without them we can never better ourselves.
Don't let someone define you or your life; don't let them bring you down or defeat your soul.
Look up every once and awhile and think about those who love you in heaven - God, Jesus, Gigi, Susie....... they are always looking out for you!

Again -- take those chances; have faith in yourself - cuz you can do anything you set your mind to, with patience and persistence the world is yours for the taking!  Sometimes a momma has to let you figure that out on your own, but I hope you always know that I am always here to listen, to advise and to cheer you on.

Love, Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment