Friday, February 10, 2012

Stranger DAnger

So on our car ride to school this morning we were listening to the Bobby Bones Show and he mentioned Stranger Danger.  Perfect timing to ask Trevor if he knew what to do when/ if a stranger tried to get him. 
He didn't really.  He asked what a stranger is.  I told him that it was someone he, nor I nor Daddy knew.  We talked about how we stay away from them even if they say they have animals or candy. 

Then we talked about what to do if the stranger grabs him.  I told him he should kick and hit and scream.  I yelled "stranger danger. Stranger Danger." in the car at him, "just like that" I said.  He giggled a bit but I think he knew I was serious.  Because quickly he asked questions "Where would they take me?"  "Can I kick him in the tummy?"  We talk about how the stranger would hide him from me and daddy and we would look and look and be so sad to not find him.  I told him YES kick the stranger wherever he wanted, bite him, scratch or pinch.  I told him to fight and wiggle, wiggle wiggle.  I even talked about that this was for people trying to take him without permission for fear he would now go and do this to anyone he just didn't know or a friend that tried to pull him somewhere at school.  Then I talked about even people Mommy and Daddy know (our friends) - that even then if they ask him to go with them he has to get permission from me or dad first.   I could tell he was getting a little worried.  I reiterate to him, this is why we tell you to stay where we can see him - like at the park or in a store.  Then bless his heart he tells me "I can just tell the stranger with my words 'i cant go with you. I have to stay with my mommy.'"  my heart melts....of course a child would think why would anyone really do this -- I'll just tell him I can't!  I told him that it was a nice thought and he could say that but the stranger probably isn't going to listen to him so he'll need to fight and run.  Then he asked if he would run like this or that (demonstrating his different ways of running)...... by this time I knew I had "lost" him in this story/ PSA.  Perhaps it became too scary to him to think about.

But if I can say anything....use moments like that to talk with your children about serious issues.  Be proactive and not reactive.  Crazy to say that this particular radio show sparks family moments but in a way it did for us!

1 comment:

  1. awww...bless his little heart!
    Good job Mommy <3

    ReplyDelete